Friday, December 30, 2005

Sad and Happy News


2005 is ending with a death and a homecoming. My brother called tonight to tell me our Uncle Jerry (mother's brother) had passed away. He had been in hospice since the 22nd with lung cancer. He is the man with the dark jacket on in the picture. My mother, her other brother Jack and my sister Gaye are the others in the picture. They were celebrating birthdays since they all were born in November. Sadly none of them are alive today. Uncle Jerry was the baby of the large family and was only 65. He has no wife or children so his nieces and nephews were the ones he loved spending time with. He was a quiet shy man who would spend hours watching us play in the creek or outside without complaining or trying to get us to go inside. He listened to everything we had to say and never interrupted or acted like he was bored. He made us feel like what we said or did was just as important as any adult. He was very upset when mother died and filled my heart with stories of her life growing up. I know that when Jerry took his last breath that Mother was there reaching out to meet him so he wouldn't leave this life alone. Goodbye Uncle Jerry and give our loved ones hugs and kisses for me. As for the happy news. Megan got a call from Brian's unit and they are on their way home from Iraq! He will be arriving earlier than planned so she is rushing around to get things done before he gets home.They will call her 24 hours before Brian's plane lands at Ft. Stewart so she will let me know and I will take the children home. They are very excited so I haven't told them about Uncle Jerry. Our little New Years party is still on and they have everything planned for out big night. This time last year I was helping get mother moved from the hospital to a hospice center. William and I spent Christmas and New Years sitting with her. I wish I had been sitting with Jerry but he was surrounded by brothers and nieces and nephews and he knew he was in my prayers.2005 has brought a lot of sadness and pain to our family so I am praying that 2006 will bring us joy and happiness. I also pray it will bring us peace and health around the world.

10 comments:

Judypatooote said...

Peggy, I'm so sorry for your loss.. Christmas time is such a sad time to loose someone....anytime is, but around the holidays, it seems worst. I'm so happy Brian is coming home. That is starting out the new year right.....my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family....

Finn said...

Dearest Peggy, my deepest sympathy on the loss of your Uncle. It's so hard to see the elders in our family pass. It moves us out closer to that edge, and certainly gives us pause.
Hugs for everything dear friend, Finn

Heather Smith said...

Peggy,
You and your family will be in my prayers.

Alice said...

Certainly an emotional time for you all, Peggy. What lovely memories you have of your Uncle Jerry. Your sorrow will be eased a little just thinking of him and your mother together again.

Glad to hear that Brian is on his way home. I'm sure it will be a wonderful reunion.

God bless you and all of your wonderful family this year.

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your loss my friend!
Much love and many prayers to you!
Love Jeanne

Miss Robyn said...

Peggy - I am sorry xoxo. I hope that this year 2006 is full of happiness & peace for you.
How exciting that Brian will be home earlier than expected. xoxo

~Nancy~ said...

Prayers and sympathy for your loss from here. Please know you are cared about.
I am thrilled your Brian is coming home. Make good memories!
Happy New Year!
Nancy

Perri said...

so sorry about your Uncle Jerry. What a loving tribute. I'm sure you have many memories to look back on. He sounds like a man meant to be a daddy. So glad that Brian is safely on his way home.
have a great day.

Maggie Ann said...

May God bless you Peggy and comfort your heart in the loss of your Uncle Jerry. He sounds like he was very special. I'm glad for your daughter that her Brian is coming home. For you all. Blessings to you.

Laurie said...

Peggy you and your family are in my prayers,I am so sorry for your loss...