Monday, February 20, 2006

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Today I made laundry soap. Its easy cheap and gets clothes as clean if not cleaner then name brand. I saved a 2 gallon laundry container with a spout to put the mixture in. That way I only have to open spout for 1/2 cup and there is no trying to pour or spilling.
If you are interested in making your own here is my recipe:

Take 1/3 of a bar of Zote soap and grate it into a saucepan with 3 pints of water. Heat over low heat until soap has dissolved. Stir in 1/2 cup of borax and 1/2 cup of washing soda (baking soda will not work)
In a gallon jug add 1 quart of hot water. Pour in the soap mixture and finish filling up jug with hot water. Let sit 24 hours before using. It should thicken.You can add scents to your mixture if you wish. Use 1/2 cup mixture per load of laundry.

3 comments:

Lana said...

thank you for stopping by.
Very nice place.
I will be back.

Unknown said...

Peggy, this is very similar to the recipe I use, but I don't add the water at all. I'm a powder gal! And I have just discovered that a coffee grinder does an amazing job of grating soap and so much quicker too :)

Amy said...

This is a really great idea, we have probably got those products here in nz but I just have to figure out what the brands and names would be called instead of the ones you have there.