Monday, March 20, 2006

Shipwreck Casserole

Here is a recipe that mother use to make a lot when I was a child. I hated it at first but as I got older I came to like it a lot and so does my family.

Spread 2 tablespoons cooking oil in the bottom of a 13x11x2 inch baking dish
Layer 1- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
Layer2- 1 lb. ground chuck, broken up and spread over the onions (uncooked)
Layer 3- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
Layer 4- 2 stalks celery, chopped
Layer 5 - 3 large raw potatoes, sliced thinly
Layer 6 - 1 green pepper, chopped
Layer 7 - 1 can red kidney beans, drained
Layer 8- 1 can corn, drained
Layer 9 - 1 can cream of mushroom, plus 1 can water, poured evenly over casserole
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Serve with salad and bread.

6 comments:

Amy said...

mmm that sounds delicious!

Mindy said...

I will have to make this sometime this week! Thanks for the recipe...it sound quite yummy! Hope this finds you well dear Peggy! xo

Rosa said...

Yum! Sounds good to me!

Maggie Ann said...

That sounds good Peggy. I have a similar recipe with not so many ingredients...yours sounds better. I'll have to try it. Thank you friend!

Leanne said...

This sounds so yummy! I think we'll have to try it this weekend. You always have the best treasures in your posts, and this is definitely one of them!

Wanda said...

I LOVE the name of this recipe! LOL!!!! And it sounds so good too. I copied it down and also sent a copy to my sister.

Thanks for sharing!