Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bonnie Gaye Roper 1948 - 1980

I lost my sister to cancer when she was still a young mom with so much to live for. Sometimes its hard to understand why we lose the ones we love before we think its time. I look forward to seeing her smile and sparkling eyes again one day. Happy Birthday Sis, I love you.

I've gotten used to missing you,
My grief's begun to ease;
I don't sit down to write you notes
Or phone to shoot the breeze.
When in a crowd someone may laugh
Or sound a lot like you;
And then the pain will grip my heart
And flood my soul anew.
I've gotten used to missing you,
I'm learning day by day
To focus on good memories
And put the rest away.
On strong days I scan photographs
Of happy times we knew;

I picture Jesus in my mind
And place Him next to you.
I've gotten used to missing you,
And though it's been 26 years;
I still am just a thought away
From aching and from tears
But my sorrow will have an end,
So let the teardrops pour;
Until I'm once again with you
And the One who loves you more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting how some people who are no longer with us never stop informing our lives. My mother died when she was younger than I am now. I think of her every day still. Sometimes, I forget that she is not just a phone call away. Her words of wisdom and life lesson continue to direct my life daily. I am so glad she is still so much a part of my life. For you, your dear sister is still part of your wonderful life. Celebrate her!

Kali said...

A special hug from me to you...Your tribute post for your sister is so touching and beautiful. Take care...

eyes_only4him said...

aww...what a great birthday post..so sorry for your loss though Peggy..

WendyAs said...

No Jesus here! Really if there was a Jesus...why would god be so horrid as to take the young/good.

I lost my Mom at the age of 3. and am still unable to understand why...these things happen??
'
I am so sorry for our pain. RIP.

Cookie said...

Such a lovely post for your sisters birthday. No amount of years can erase the grief we feel for our loved ones. Hugs Peggy.

Carole Burant said...

It's never easy losing a loved one and we must cherish every memory we have of them. My heart goes out to you, Peggy...this is a sad date that we share. Your sister and my dad should be here for us to celebrate their birthdays with...if only....

Marci said...

Peggy, what a beautiful tribute post for your sister. After losing my Mom last year, I know what you mean about thinking of them, wanting to call them, etc. Wendy, you are missing out on the wonderful peace and hugs that the Lord can give you. We live in a world full of sin. Bad things happen to people. I am sorry for your loss.