Wednesday, July 02, 2008

It's Not All Fun And Games People!

Don't let them fool you. They aren't that innocent! Some of the neighborhood kids asked if they could see the animals this afternoon. They were told to make sure to close all gates carefully and not let any animals out. Our hired hand was watering while the kids checked everything out and kinda kept an eye on them. Well they went back home and the gate to Mandy and Baby's pen didn't get latched. The latches are on the outside where the goats can't reach them so I know it wasn't them. Anyway, kids went home, hired hand went to church and I am sitting at the desk paying bills. All of sudden I see something running outside. I look out the door and Mandy, Baby, Huey, Dewey, Louie,Pedro, Samson, Nickel, Dynamite and Princess Diva are running down the driveway. When I went out I saw where Mandy or Baby had pushed the gate in on the nursery pen and let the kids out. I have to go unlock the feed room, grab a bucket of feed and chase goats. The kids were easy. They love to eat and they know when the feed bucket is out its time to eat. They followed me back to their pen with no problem. Mandy and Baby? No way! They ran up the drive, they ran down the drive. They ran around the house. They ran around the yard. They ran around the other goat pens to tease them and make them cry. They could care less I have a bucket of feed. They just want to run. Dwarf goats sure run faster than Nubians!They try to push the gate open again and let the kids out but I stopped that. I got them cornered near their pen but they wouldn't go in. So for 45 minutes I stood guard waiting on the hired hand to get back so he could get on the other side of the two escapes and help herd them back where they belong. During that very long 45 minutes I pondered why I had goats. I have to say I came up with more good reasons than bad ones so guess the goats are still safe for a while. I could of swore Mandy had a evil smile on her face as I latched her inside her pen. Oh well, at least life is never boring around here.

12 comments:

Lib said...

Bless your heart! I remember when we had animals,they'd get out at midnight in the snow and we'd have to chase them down.
Hope you have a good rest of the wk.
Blessins',Lib

meggie said...

That would keep you fit! I am guessing that you probably dont need the extra exercise though- you are so busy as it is!!

Anonymous said...

I'ts 5:30 in the a.m. here and my husband just came in to see what I was laughing about. I read off the list of goat names to him and now he's chuckling also. Your stories are always so entertaining while still giving a true picture of farm life. The faces on those two do look so innocent though, don't they?

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It sounds like a real morning workout. When all was finally secure i hope you put your feet up and enjoyed a Mint Julep.

When my herd of pigs takes off. in variably it is in the rain. But they readily come for feed so once I an within earshot I give them my best Arkansas Razorback call, Soo Wee, Soo Wee, and they come running.
Pigs may not be as pretty as goats but they are smart. The Runt, of course, is even cuddly and affectionate.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Kids just have to be kids you know!! They saw the chance for freedom and took it!! Made you get some exercise..not that you need it or that you don't already work yourself to death!! Smile

Blessings, Sandy

Marci said...

Oh, I can SO relate. It seems whenever I am home by myself they get out. I am glad you got them all back in.

Rosa said...

Oh my Peggy. Your haven is never boring and I don't think you need loose animals to liven it up! hehe. Glad all are well. Enjoy your fourth my friend! xoxox

JoyceAnn said...

Awww ........ but they're so cute & sweet , that alone is reason to keep them (LOL).

Happy 4th of July , Peggy !!

Blessings to you and the Critters ~
JoyceAnn

Unknown said...

Oh come on Peggy... you know you were just kidding about raising goats not being all fun and games..

Sounded to me like you, Baby and Mandy had a pretty vigorous game of Tag going on...lol

In any case I am making a mental note...."never buy dwarf goats..Leave them for people that can run fast."

Hope things have calmed down a bit for you.

Phill said...

Peggy, I have to qualify this by saying, "It's only funny because everything worked out fine." But I have to say, I laughed. Out loud. Mostly at the vision of that little herd of goats trotting down the driveway!

Mary said...

So glad you got them all to return home...eventually! Never a dull moment for you Peggy - they say kids keep you young, better believe it!!!!

Miss Robyn said...

I didn't realize you had dwarf goats, I am looking for one to have..I don't have alot of land, but I want another goat.. when we lived on acres, i had an angora called Rosie.. and once I had a 'normal, everyday, billy goat called Cappy, but he was a chore so he went to live on a farm!