Saturday, September 06, 2008

Time to Clean Up

Hanna has come and gone. She left some limbs, branches, etc to clean up but over all everything is fine. The worst of it was between 5am and 7am. Fed all the animals but decided to wait till the worst of the wind had passed before trying to milk. The goats didn't seem to mind the wait. I checked on all the animals every hour during the night and all were safe and dry. Well except the ducks and geese who were having pool parties. They loved it. And Harry and Harry the polish toppers that don't seem to have a brain. They roost on top of the chicken pen even in storms. They won't go inside the chicken house. They won't roost in trees. They stay out in the middle of a storm looking like drowned rats. All the others had a safe dry night. We didn't loose electric though others in the area did. I think all your prayers and good thoughts made this a easy storm for us.
Before Hanna got here I had a young couple come to get goat milk for a baby squirrel. They found it on the ground and couldn't find a nest to put it back. They really want to try and help it so I gave them some milk and what little advice I could. When I went out to the soap building to get a business card for them I was shocked but so proud to see Lady, Tramp and Sheba just laying in the corner of the dog lot. Why? Well Fred the turkey, John Henry the rooster and 3 hens had decided to go in the dog lot. They were walking around checking things out and the dogs didn't even bark. This is wonderful as all 3 dogs have chased and killed chickens before. They usually go crazy if a chicken even gets close to the fence. They got a cookie and some loving before I got the dumb poultry out of there.
As the rain started falling and the winds started blowing I took a few photos.

19 comments:

Rosa said...

Peggy! I am so happy you and your peaceable kingdom are safe and the worst over with. I love the photos and captions! They are precious. Just shows how well you take care of them all--not a care in the world. xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy.
I am so happy your family and animal family are all safe and sound.
We only received wind here and no rain which we still need so badly.
It looks and sounds like everyone came out like real troopers.
Hope the rest of your weekend goes smoothly.
Pam

Bo said...

Such good news about Hanna being more or less on the gentle side... I love the names you have for the animals...cute pictures too! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

Hon,I realy enjoyed your last 2 posts with the pictures and such.Also so proud of all the precautions,and work you put into keeping the homestead safe.In my eyes your the greatest,course I may be a little prejudice,I'am in love with you!!william

tlawwife said...

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad. We have been praying for you and all.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I am so happy that ya'll are safe and sound!! I was really worried when I saw the direction that Hanna was taking..right toward you !! I am so happy that all is okay!! Take care and now can get back to normal..whatever that is!! Sandy

Kristie said...

I am supposed to head to Roxboro NC in a couple of days. How's the weather in that part of NC? lol

Glad to hear it wasn't a destructive storm for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures Peggy!

Judypatooote said...

Peggy have you ever written a book, for I think you should...what great stories you tell, and what a way for young people to learn about the animals.. you have so many different kinds, each with a name and a story and a picture....I'm so glad you and all your animals survived the storm... p.s. I love your new look again.....you and pea from Peas Corner are the most festive blog I know....always a new look, and it's quite enjoyable to stop by to see whats new......judy

Lib said...

Hi Peggy,
PTL ya'll are safe!:o)
Have agood wk.end.Blessins',Lib

Fruityy said...

Glad to hear you are safe and that the animals all had a comfortable time during the storm. Maybe after hurricane season, you and William can take a road trip to SD!!

meggie said...

So glad all is well with you & your lovely animals.
hugsxx

amelia said...

Awwww what a lovely comment from your hubby!!

So glad you're all safe and dry...

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am glad you had an easy time of it in the storm.

One has to worry about those who will be in the way of Ike. I could be New Orleans all over again.

The Vintage Kitten said...

Aww your animals are so cute and glad to see they are safe and sound after the storms your country is suffering at the moment.

Juli said...

I'm so glad you're all safe !!

When I hadn't heard anything and there were no new blog posts I started ti freak out a little :)

((((((((((Peggy)))))))))))))

KountryKowgirl said...

Hi, so glad you and all the animals are just fine! It must have been scarey without William there to help, and just be with you for the wait. I am so happy that I have high speed now and can check in your blog again! Love all the pics and the new babies are adorable!

Carole Burant said...

Such a blessing that you're all safe and sound! You did good in making sure that everything was secure and the animals safe. Proud of you sis!! Was laughing at the quotes on each picture, they seemed to be saying exactly that! hehe xoxo

Anonymous said...

Peggy, I mailed you a note Sunday afternoon and then a short time ago our electricity came back on and I am finally getting to visit your blog.
Thanks so much for your call during Gustav. I haven't had television or radio for a week and had no idea Hanna had actually come your way. I'm so glad she was not too destructive. I'm sorry I didn't check on you sooner.
I hope you and I have seen the end of these crazy hurricanes, but it looks like they may still be an aggravation for a few more weeks. Be safe.