Monday, November 15, 2010

Gosh time has gotten away from me. My daughter Megan had to remind me to post on my blog. We have been working to get everything dried in for the rain coming in tonight and for the winter. I have been dragging out Christmas decorations. We are going to have our annual family Christmas weekend the first weekend in December so I want to have everything decorated. We are also working on the clues and bounty for PopPop's annual treasure hunt. Don't know about our treasure hunt? Well you can read about it Here , Here, and Here.
My friend Gerda gave us lots more produce so I have been dehydrating, freezing, cooking and going to be canning tomorrow. Could tell it was Monday as I haven't felt well today, got stung by a yellow jacket, had a acorn fall from a tree bounce off the porch rail and hit me smack in the eye. Gave the dogs a bath and got more water on me than them.For the last few nights I can't seem to sleep more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time before waking up so I am tired and grouchy during the day. Tonight I am drinking some chamomile tea and hopefully will sleep better. Hope each of you have a very blessed week!

Today would have been my sister's 61st birthday. She died from cancer at the age of 31, leaving behind a husband who died a few months later and 4 small children. Been thinking about her alot lately and how things were when we were growing up.


I've gotten used to missing you,
My grief's begun to ease;
I don't sit down to write you notes
Or phone to shoot the breeze
.When in a crowd someone may laugh
Or sound a lot like you;
And then the pain will grip my heart
And flood my soul anew.
I've gotten used to missing you,
I'm learning day by day
To focus on good memories
And put the rest away.
On strong days I scan photographs
Of happy times we knew;
I picture Jesus in my mind
And place Him next to you.
I've gotten used to missing you,
And though it's been 30 years;
I still am just a thought away
From aching and from tears
But my sorrow will have an end,
So let the teardrops pour;
Until I'm once again with you
And the One who loves you more.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy, Sorry you got stung and hit in the eye. I remember about the treasure hunt from years gone by. I know it will be a real blessing to have everyone together for the holiday. A wonderful tribute to your sister. I know you miss her. Hope you feel better tomorrow. We have had lots of rain today in GA.

amelia said...

Who took care of the kids at such a young age? That's awful for all of you losing someone so young.

I hope you feel better by now Peggy and hopefully some winter will soon come your way to cheer you up. How are the bunnies doing? I hope the foster mum is taking good care of her babies!

Denise said...

Sounds like a Monday for sure! While I haven't commented much I have still been reading. Lovely poem tribute to your sister, I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Kent Island Red said...

Peggy, you're such a busy lady that I'm surprised that you are able to blog as often as you do. My hat is off to you. Sorry about the acorn hitting you in the eye. Talk about a freak accident! Also sorry to hear about losing your sister so long ago, but it's wonderful that you picture her right next to Jesus, because I'm sure she is. Your faith is very inspiring. Have a great week.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Peggy, I remember the Treasure Hunt... That is always so much fun!!!!!!

We have had fog, cool temps, cloudy, dreary, rainy weather here for the past couple of days. We needed the rain --so we're not complaining.

Glad you are getting ready for Christmas --and your company. Glad also that you are getting everything ready for winter... It's gonna happen for sure!!!!!!

Have a good Tuesday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Tracy Bruring said...

Peggy I am so sorry your day and nights are like this. I had a friend who told me that sometimes when i am too busy to talk to God during the day, then he waits til I am settled down and then wants to talk. Say hi for me if you wake again in the night cause I sure am busy during the day but am sleeping good. My heart hurts for your loss of your sister and her children's loss of their parents. Monday is over now pretty much. I hope your day is shining tomorrow.

Granny said...

Sorry to hear about the eye and the sting. Hope they both heal quickly.

That is a lovely tribute to your sister.

Hope you were able to get a restful night of sleep.

Take care my friend.

FarmHouse Style said...

Your poem is beautiful Peggy. How heartbreaking to loose a dear sister.

I have been busy getting ready for the change of seasons myself and as soon as I am done, it will be time to get my home ready for the holidays. Don't know when I will be able to pick up my knitting needles again.

Hope you are feeling better and had a goodnight's rest.

Rhonda

DayPhoto said...

I understand your loss...I miss my sister also...she was 47 when she passed.

:(

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Peggy, you are in my thoughts and my prayers.

xoxo

small farm girl said...

Beautiful poem.

Carole Burant said...

I know how much you miss your sister, she was much too young to die:-( Such a beautiful poem you shared with us!! I just feel so honoured to be your adopted sis:-)

Gosh, sis, you certainly have been busy and like I say, there just never seems to be enough hours in a day anymore. I want to start taking out my Christmas decorations next week...then it will be the baking, the chocolate making, the meatpies, etc. Now I've gotten myself in a tizzy because there's so much to do! lol

Love ya sis. xoxo

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Peggy ~ Hope your week has gotten better. That's a beautiful tribute to your sister.


~ Hugs and Blessings to You ~
JoyceAnn

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am sorry you are getting beaten up by mother Nature (acorns, yellow jackets, dogs) and unable to get proper sleep. You need a day off to pamper yourself.

I am always touched each year when you write of the loss of your sister. My sister-in-law came home from hiking the Appalachian Trail to learn that she has breast cancer. Damn! She seems committed to meet this challenge as she did with the Trail.

My son also had to put down his beloved old dog (his first child). He has dreaded this for a couple of years and dismissed this possibility. Finally, he faced up to the suffering of the dog and made this hard decision. He is suffering at this loss. The note he sent me made me cry! Grief is such a test of our faith and life's meaning. I admire your personal faith and how it is a comfort and support for you.

Lib said...

Wonderful to see You're remembering someone so special. Yesterday would of been my Bros. bday. THank God for Memories!:o)

Cant wait to see and hear about your Gathering!
Have a great wkend!
Blessins',Lib