Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Busy Monday

Yesterday was so busy I didn't take a single picture. After morning feeding and milking it was time to do the dreaded disbudding on Nitra and Thundertoes. This was really dreaded as William has always been the one to burn the buds while I help hold (with my eyes closed). Yesterday it was me doing the burning and the mighty warriors and hired hand holding. The hired hand choose to answer his cellphone when we started on Nitra so the mighty warriors proved to be very brave and mighty. They held Nitra very very still while I did the disbudding (with my eyes open). The mighty warriors didn't like what had to be done but they stuck it out. With Thundertoes the hired hand was back and proved not to be as strong as the mighty warriors in holding. Zack had to reach and hold where the hired hand was holding because Thundertoes was moving to get free. Once Zack got his hold on things went smoothly and the job was finished. We have Nod to do today or tomorrow but his brother Winkin is lucky in he is polled. Meaning he has no horns. He and Willow are dancing around the homestead because they don't have to face the hot burning tool. The boys also helped me in the soap shop, picking beans, okra , tomatoes and cukes. They cleaned up the yard and of course had to have a fire in their fire pit. What mighty warrior doesn't like fire! We did 3 loads of clothes and are building up good arm muscles cranking the wringer. We moved a few goats around and open the chicken pen so the chickens can free roam during the day. The mighty warriors even remember to close them in at night. We had a very bad lighting storm during afternoon feeding yesterday. There was lighting, thunder and high wind but not a drop of rain. Very strange and spooky. We sat down to a supper of pinto beans, homemade mac n cheese, potatoes, tomatoes, cukes, and cornbread. Kinda starchy but hit the spot. The potatoes are so good but so easy. Just slice them like fries and put them on a baking sheet. Pour some ranch dressing over and mixed them up. Put in 350F oven for about 15 minutes then sprinkle shredded cheese over and pop back in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes. They are soooooo good! Woody loved them so they have to be good! Will try to take some pics today. After a full belly I had one mighty warrior asleep before 8:30 and the other was snoring before 9! Thats amazing for 13 and 11 yr olds. The boys will be going home Friday and I will be getting ready for Quintin, Gabby, Will and Harvey's visit.

7 comments:

Lib said...

Hi Peggy,
What fine Grands you have there!
Supper sounds wonderful.I'll have to try those pots.THanks for sharing.
I have my 2 yr. shadow so it will be a very busy wk.we will ha ve her day and night.
Have a great wk.
Blessins',Lib

Phill said...

Glad the boys were so helpful and it worked out as best as could be expected - I know how you dislike doing this from previous posts. Sounds like the Grands earned their grub yesterday!

JoyceAnn said...

Sounds like the Mighty Warriors are doing a fine job.
May try that potatoe recipe , it sounds delish , love some potatoes and cheese. Everything tastes sooo much better with the fresh garden veggies.

~ Blessings to you &
the Mighty Warriors ~

JoyceAnn

Gone said...

Thanks for your visit, Peggy. And for your comments on our DAY of PRAYER post.

~Blessings,
Jan

Carole Burant said...

Hi Sis:-)

I'm back from visiting my boys and now trying to catch up with everyone! Oh dear, I can well imagine how you disliked having to do the actual disbudding but sounds like it all went fairly well. Thank goodness you had the mighty warriors there to help you out:-)

I can't wait until I can start picking fresh veggies from my garden. Probably won't be for another couple of weeks yet though!

The way you cooked those potatoes sounds so yummy, must give them a try. I like to try various recipes with potatoes, get so tired of having them the same way most of the time.

I laughed so much to see that picture of Louie in the laying box! Never a dull day at the homestead, I'm sure! hehe Love ya sis. xoxo

DonnaB said...

You did the debudding...You're amazing and you've added yet another valuable skill to your repetoire!

Ron said...

Those taters do sound good!

Mighty warriors certainly do like fire. :) I don't know nothing about disbudding, but it doesn't sound like a fun process.

Hope you get more days with a break from the chores. :)

Take care,
Ron