Thursday, July 08, 2010

A Simple Day

Started the day a little earlier than normal but that was a nice thing. Kuma needed to go potty so she walked back and forth in front of my bedroom door. She was sweet and didn't bark or come into the room. I could just hear her pacing. After her quick trip outside she settled back down for a nap. Since I was up Whiskers, Troubles and Rusty thought I should go ahead and feed them. After feeding the hungry gang I sat down with a tall glass of mint tea and read out of a couple of my devotional books and out of my bible. Megan and family gave me a beautiful pink and brown bible for Christmas last year and I just love it. Things were still quiet around the homestead so I got on the computer and caught up on some blog reading. You guys sure have been busy! And like me you all seem to be having this terrible heat. I keep telling myself that fall is right around the corner with winter on its heels. Our gardens are really hurting in this heat. I am able to water the small ones here and William is able to water parts of the big garden. Its so big its impossible to water all of it. We are getting tons of salad tomatoes and the big tomatoes are now turning a pretty red. Cucumbers and squash are doing well as is the egg plants. This has been a great year for them. I finally got the egg plant dishes made and in the freezer. I have 4 ready for this winter and will be making more next week. For those that ask. I don't bake them before freezing. The homestead starting stirring so it was out to do morning feeding and watering. The heat has been terrible on the animals here. We lost some chickens due to heat and others got so hot they wouldn't even walk to the water bowls for a drink and got dehydrated. We are blessed with wonderful oak trees that shade our home and animal pens but it was still very hot. I have been going out several times a day and giving fresh cold water and even misting the pens. We also put electrolytes in the water which seemed to help the animals. If there is one that seems to be just standing or sitting around looking hot or sick I pick them up and take them to the water bowls for a drink, make sure they cool down and then sit them on the roost for what little breeze they can get. Since doing this we haven't lost any more chickens so hopefully the heat will end soon. This morning while feeding Tessa was out away from her babies eating with her 2 baby chicks. When we moved her and the baby turkeys she kept calling and looking around like she was missing something. We moved the one egg that didn't hatch down to her and that seemed to make her feel better but then she called her baby chicks. When they came and she had all her babies and egg she sat down content. The next day she let us remove the egg. The baby chicks help her look after the baby turkey. They show them how to peck and scratch and talk to them. It is so cute to watch. We have a small pen inside the bigger turkey pen for the babies. The babies are so small they can get through the chicken wire and I don't want the hens in the next pen pecking them. Tessa hops in and out of the baby pen just fine as do the chicks. Fred is still strutting around showing his feathers. He is one proud poppa. The rabbits aren't into eating alot because of the heat. Though they gobble up the slices of apple and pears they get each morning. The rabbit food and whole wheat bread is nibbled on throughout the day but they prefer to snuggle with the frozen water jugs. Lady and Tramp have dug a huge hole in their dog pen under a oak tree. They seem to be staying cool laying in it. I do put frozen water bottles in their water bucket so the water will stay cold for them. Bud the iguana is loving this heat! He just picks the sunniest spot and naps with a smile on his face. Every once in a while he will take a dip in his pool. The ducks are spending the day in their pools. They come out to eat and hurry back to the water. We have 4 kid pools for them and the geese so there is room for everyone to swim. We have been having to empty and clean them every day because they are in them so much but at least they are staying cool. The pigs get their morning shower and then go lay in their mud hole till I go out at lunchtime to give them another shower and fresh water. They seem to be doing okay with the heat. After feeding and watering everyone its back inside for some breakfast, housework, laundry, and walk Rusty and Kuma. Then its back outside to do any chores or projects that are planned for the day. This morning we unloaded over 300 bricks that we got for free off Craigslist last night. They are new brick that someone just didn't use and wanted rid of. I am going to use some around flower beds and sure there will be projects in the future that will find a use for the rest. I am going to cut the grass and weedeat this morning before it gets too hot. After that I will pick the veggies that are ready from the gardens and spend the afternoon taking care of them. I found more flower pots at the thriftstore and with the ones I already had was able to make more tipping pots. I have to finish putting flowers in them but I sure enjoy them. Just simple things going on here at the homestead but what a blessing to be able to have the simple things to do. Have a blessed day and stay cool!

9 comments:

Granny said...

After reading all that you've done today I'm tired and need to take a nap. ;) I love your tipsy pots. I hope to make one soon. That is, if it ever cools down. I can't take the humidity of the last couple of days.

Are you able to use the water from the wading pools to water your flowers or garden?

Please take care and stay cool. This heat is really bad.

Barbara said...

Good post sweetie, you are such a busy bee Peggy, hope your day is a really blessed one, hugs.

Denise said...

The air quality here is terrible, I'm healthy, but people like my dad must have an awful time breathing. Thankfully, "this too shall pass" and we will have nice summer weather and by that I mean 75 degress with a slight breeze. I hate to wish away the summer, but I do love fall the best!

Anonymous said...

A lot of hard work for sure, especially in this heat, but I know you are very happy. I love hearing about the animals and their routines. No matter what time John or me gets up in the a.m., Harriet is ALWAYS ready to eat!!!! Maybe we will get some relief from the dry heat soon. Take care Peggy.

Mike said...

Peggy, How are the Angoras holding out in this heat? We have our little bit of Angora in Chiklet and Susan is stuck on some sort of a mini, preferably, a lionhead. I have a date with the AC for the rest of the day. I like Granny's idea. I believe I'll have me a nap.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Peggy, I complain about the heat --but I have an air-conditioned home to stay in... Those poor animals don't have that luxury.... You do such a good job keeping them as cool as possible. Hopefully, this heat wave will break soon.

We are desperate for rain here. Hope we get some soon...

Please take care of yourself... AND stay as cool as possible today.
Hugs,
Betsy

DayPhoto said...

I love the tipping pots! What a clever idea.

I can not understand humidity like you have...we are such dry, dry air. But you do a very good job of helping everyone survive.

Here's hoping for cool and rain soon!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

amelia said...

This heat is a killer!! I feel so bad for all the dogs that are left out and tied up so they can't move. I'll bet there's been a lot of deaths due to that.

Breathing is so hard, it's like walking into a blast furnace walking outside.

Take care Peggy, as much as you can anyway, I know you have to do a lot no matter what the weather...

Lib said...

Its still hot here too,sounds like youre very busy !Would Love to live closer and help you with all your feather/furry kids:o)
Have agreat day!
Blessins',Lib